March 22, 2006

MySpace is Sucking Away Precious Life Force

Yesterday I joined myspace.com at the request of a Miss Anna Vitebsky. Anna is always up on the latest online happenings and I thought, well, since Friendster is going nowhere slowly, why not. So I registered, filled out a profile with my info and interests, added some pics and started stalking people from high school and college. A comment first on the pictures. If you look at my profile, yes, I did list "dating" as one of the activities I was using myspace for. I suppose if I met the perfect person on there, why not. However, I am certainly not actively pursuing single men in the hope of finding my soul mate. I can't stand it when people put up sexy pictures of themselves. Get over yourself. I would much rather see a realistic or funny shot of someone than one with them with their shirt off (guys) or in a bikini (girls). No thanks! So, if you look at my profile, you will see some silly pictures that make me smile every time I look at them. Okay, now back to the stalking. One neat function is that you can affiliate yourself with your former or current academic institutions and through that, find other alumni. Last night I went through all of the kids from Gates Chili and Bucknell that graduated around the time that I did. A few trends stood out, at least for me: 1) Everyone from my high school is ghetto fabulous; 2) Apparently the vast majority of people from my high school made no additional friends after their years at GC; 3) Students that attend Bucknell are way more attractive than the average public. I looked up some people, sent a few messages and received some messages and friend requests from people that I haven't seen in seven or eight years. Is it mean to ignore friend requests from people from my past that I was never good friends with? I hope not, because that's exactly what I'm doing. I just don't see the point in having 200 random friends. The problem is that now I can't stop logging in and checking things out. Once I locate a friend, I have to read their profile and then look at the profiles of all of their friends. It has been less than 24 hours though, so hopefully I'll be able to wean myself off a bit. This is better than stalkernet at Bucknell.

2 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger dan said...

It's ok to myspace people you weren't tight with. It's only a website, it really doesn't have strong real-life implacations unless both people involves are insane. I would only reject someone if I totally didn't know them, didn't want to know them, or knew them but actively disliked them enough to show them I dislike them by rejecting/ignoring their invite.

Anyway you'd better not go around giving everyone crappy comments like you did me, else you'll be nixed by all your myspacesters, man. :oT (kidiiiiiing)

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger anna said...

Mwahahahah! You're welcome :)

I've been on for a week, and I'm still totally obsessed although not quite as much as a few days ago. So if the trend holds, I should be back to "normal" in maybe another 2-3 weeks.

I found a nice pic of the 2 of us that I'll put up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home