5 Reasons Why You Will Die Alone, Cold and Hungry
Every morning when I get in to work I spend a few minutes checking my various email accounts. Just as I was about to click on the Inbox link for my hotmail account this morning, I saw a link titled "5 reasons why you are still single" on the right. Interested, yet slighly horrified, I decided to procrastinate on my genotyping for a few more minutes and read the article. Here are the reasons: 1) You're ignoring your relationship needs; 2) You're too quick to decide whether you're interested; 3) You've got options but none are "good enough"; 4) You're not entirely over your ex; 5) Your attitude leaves a bad taste in the heart and minds of others.
As I am single, and have been for some time now, I feel that I am in a position to make a comment on this article, based entirely on my own experiences. I don't think I'm ignoring my relationship needs. Yes, I am busy with work, but I still see my friends pretty often and I do make time to do the things I enjoy when I want to. Reason number two may be slightly applicable, but not entirely. I like to think I am a fairly open-minded person who doesn't judge too quickly, but there are a few points that I absolutely will not compromise on. If you are anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, or a Bush supporter, chances are I'm not going to feel too bad about not going on a date with you. But the truth is, why should I feel bad about that? Should I really have to compromise my morals and integrity for a date? I think not. I am always the last person to know if someone "likes" me or is attracted to me, so as far as there being options, who knows. Reveal yourselves and we'll see. It's been so long that I think everyone is past their statute of limitation on being referred to as an ex. Now, reason number five just sounds cruel. I hope that that isn't the case for me. If I've left a "bad taste" in your heart, even though I don't see how that's physically possible, please make me aware of it.
So are these the only five reasons that can explain my single status? I doubt it. Dating is a complicated matter and I think the intricacies and subtleties are what make it interesting and fun. It's not always correct, or fair really, to simplify it down to a few, apparently easy-to-fix, hang-ups. I've always been under the impression that I would rather be single and happy than in a relationship that made me miserable. Even if I do end up single forever, at least I'll be bearing my sister's children, as creepy as that sounds.

5 Comments:
Elfin treat, Be my wife? I'm happy having my children was included on this little post of yours. Thank you for finally agreeing to this! I will see you soon...
If it comes down to it, I'll make sure to have a pet, lots of blankets, and tons of food in storage.
Here, here!
I think being single can be a great thing. Some people are serial daters, or more specifically, serious serial dater. There is a boundary between being single because you don't want to approach someone (out of fear) and always being in a long term relationship (out of fear of lonliness). In many respects, I think dating several people and/or being single is the healthiest option. Because this means you're not scared or bothered to be single or to meet people. So I tip my hat at you, single people (and those who have no problem dating someone and ending it because it was no good).
Besides, msn had this stupid list of "Ways to Propose" and one of them suggested to play hangman and have the phrase be "Will You Marry Me?" That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So I think their suggestions get an offcial X.
katie, the only other reason i would add to that list is: lack of available members of the opposite sex. rpi is all dudes, hence it was impossible to date if you were a guy. of course, the chicks got more propositions than they would ever want.
hyunmi, that hangman thing is the best idea i have heard in weeks. too bad it was on msn and every uncreative guy will do that.
btw, my word verification is "dualp". interesting...
Post a Comment
<< Home