When I Grow Up
I am a little bored at work today. Well, yesterday as well and probably tomorrow too. Boredom abounds. Anyways, when I get bored, I start thinking about all of the things that maybe I could do after graduate school. I hate to think that I wouldn't use my degree, but if that's the case, so be it. I'm in a list mood again, so here goes (in no particular order):
1. Own and run a bookstore. I would spend a few years setting up shop and once the store was running well and I had a group of hard-working, trustworthy employees, I would travel the globe searching for obscure titles that I would eventually send back to the store.
2. Become an Olympic coach. I am seriously obsessed with all things athletic (with the exception of such popular American sports as baseball, softball and football), and I'm too old to become an Olympian myself (don't you dare mention curling).
3. Become a soup-only cook who lives in the woods. I would grow my own soup ingredients and make up huge batches that I would then can. Once every few weeks a delivery man under an oath of silence would come pick up my soups and ship them around the world. In this case it would be crucial that I remain anonymous, as I wouldn't want to be disturbed and have my secret recipes revealed.
4. Build hide-and-seek centers in different areas around the country for children to play in. These centers would have a barn (my favorite hiding place), tall grasses, trees, various yard objects (trash cans, gliders, etc), and woods. However, there would be a limit as to how many kids could be in the game at one time. I would try to limit the price as much as possible so that it would be feasible for families to partake.

5. Try to find Sasquatch. This is a good one because it combines a lot of things that I like - travel, woods, mysterious beasts and intrigue. It would be absolutely hysterical if someone asked you, "So what have you been up to these past few years?" "Well, I spent some time in the Pacific Northwest tracking Sasquatch. That's one crazy mammal!"
Those are the five that I was thinking about today, when I was supposed to be reading. They are always subject to change at my discretion. If any of you find one of these endeavors particularly appealing, we should talk.

7 Comments:
I don't like your hide and seek centers since it will attract ticks (due to the use of tall grass)and infect children and adults like Joe with Lyme Disease.
As far as coaching for an Olympic sport, I think you are well suited for ice dancing.
I like how you want to "hunt Sasquatch" and not "hunt the sasquatch". I wasn't aware it was like a proper name or something. I like your way much better. It lends itself to lofty proclamations:
"I am hunting... Sasquatch!"
katie, my dearest katie. this is what i think of your potential future careers:
1. bookstore: i like it. this seems the best choice for someone of your abilities, along with working at taco bell or being a walmart greeter. (j/k, this is a great one. i love books and bookstores. i would shop at yours all the time unless it was an adult bookstore. that would be... weird.)
2. olympic coach: i bet you can do it. i don't know what qualifications one needs; perhaps experience coaching successful athletes. better start coaching local high school kids! (you are not too old to go to the olympics. you are probably focused on the wrong sport. i hear that jazz running will premiere in the next summer olympics.)
3. soup cook in the woods: this is scary. this is what europeans referred to as a "witch" up until about last year. be prepared to fight off little children trying to eat your gingerbread house, pushing you into an oven, woodsman chopping you to bits with an axe, or huntsman digging up your flower beds.
4: hide and seek... person: this is scarier. all i can think about is michael jackson and neverland. don't do this.
5: sasquatch hunter. i like this the best. the bookstore is the great (and also the most realistic), but this is the best hands down. let's join forces.
Hyunmi and I shudder every time you mention jazz running. The more often you bring it up, the more reduced your chances are of seeing us do it. As for being called a witch, I'm okay with that. I'd like to state, for the record, that I don't intend to "hunt" Sasquatch. Hunting implies capturing, wounding and/or killing. I merely want to track him and study his habits. I have included a picture from the Patterson-Gimlin film (this may just be a man in an ape suit, who knows).
What if Sasquatch attacks? Would you wound and/or kill it then? You should ask Vijay about Sasquatch -- Vijay's distant cousin is the Yeti, who is a distant cousing of Sasquatch.
Dude, if you end up owning a bookstore, I will totally travel the globe with you searching for titles! We already have the backpacks!!!
you better not hunt sasquatch. as yeti and i will huff and puff and blow your house down.
Post a Comment
<< Home