Olympic Fever Baby!
Well, the Olympics are upon us again. While I'm practically obsessed with the Summer Games, I do still enjoy the Winter Games, especially the speed skating and skiing events. Starting tonight, I will go into antisocial mode, as I can't think of many things I would rather do than watch the Olympics on TV. Anyone in the area is welcome to come watch with me.
While reading up on the upcoming Games, I found it kind of annoying that the American media refers to Torino as Turin. Damn those Anglicized names! Let's look at a few Italian examples: Roma vs. Rome (come on, Roma is so easy to say), Torino vs. Turin (Torino sounds like a much more exciting place to me than frumpy old Turin), and finally, the kicker, Firenze vs. Florence (wait, what? how'd that "L" get in there?). Why can't we just refer to these cities by their real Italian names? I know, Americans are scared that if we start saying tricky Italian words that all of the men will instantly begin wearing attractive, fitted suits and oozing charm, while the women will take on more colorful wardrobes and start enjoying fine wines. Watch out America, watch out!

2 Comments:
Maybe it's because we are angry that they haven't learned English. I mean everyone knows that it's not that hard to say Milan, in fact, it's easier than MilanO. And who names a city after those soooo scrumptious cookies? Why can't they just learn English?
Haha.
good point hyunmi.
i think that katie is biased towards italian-ness. it good have something to do with the fact that she is half-italian. if she were truly unbiased she would champion the effort to correct pronounciation of other non-italian names in english.
for instance: walichnowski. say it with me: Vall-ick-NAWV-ski. was that so hard? it must've been because it was anglicized. although, the anglicized version is almost as difficult. they should've just named us "wallski". that is much easier.
Post a Comment
<< Home