Why Can't We All Just Get Along?
As a liberal, living in NYC has been a dream come true. I have met a diverse group of people, I have witnessed and been a part of grassroots campaigns for change, I have had intelligent discussions with people who are as passionate about politics as myself, and for the most part, I have surrounded myself with fellow liberals. On some level however, I think living here has made me forget how different my beliefs are from the majority of people in this country. I've gotten so used to being around people who are extremely tolerant of every type of person that every time I wander outside of my circle of friends I am shocked and disappointed to hear even the slightest non-PC phrase. On top of that, I am in general disappointed with the way that the current administration is running our government, as are most of my aquaintances in the city. I don't feel like I can just hide in the liberal bubble of NYC anymore. It's time to take action. I've been thinking a lot lately about what type of action would suit me best. I don't want to be associated with any group whose statement of purpose has a negative connotation, but instead want to get involved in one that promotes something positive. I think it is critical for each citizen in this country to examine the way the government is affecting their lives and the lives of those around them. I think it is crucial that people keep an open mind and try to understand the needs of others. I think that each person should examine his or her beliefs and ask themselves if they are living with prejudice and hate and if so, how they can work to change that. So here are two realistic goals that I am trying to work on in the next year:
1. When talking to someone who has a different opinion than my own, do not get angry and defensive, but instead listen to what they have to say and calmly present my own side. Share any knowledge or experiences of my own that may help that person to see the situation from a different perspective.
2. Register voters in my spare time. I don't know right now if there is a group in the city that does this on a regular basis, but I plan on looking into it. In this case, I think it is important not to do it under the heading of a certain group or party, but try to objectively present all of the candidates and platforms and allow the individual to make their own choices.
Ultimately, I would just like people to start thinking about the issues that face the country today and try to open their minds to different possibilities.
Addendum:
I didn't agree with everything that President Bush said in his State of the Union last night, but I did agree with this: "Yet there is a difference between responsible criticism that aims for success, and defeatism that refuses to acknowledge anything but failure. Hindsight alone is not wisdom. And second-guessing is not a strategy." Anyone watching last night saw how, as usual, the Republicans stood up and clapped at each pause and the Democrats sat in their chairs, motionless and scowling. These extreme partisan politics are not going to help anybody.

7 Comments:
i hear you. we are human beings. why can't just all have some mutual respect for each other. i hate that prejudices still exist against race/religion/etc. while WE all joke about it, we know better...some people don't and its sad.
your first bullet is something i strongly believe in. the groups/individuals involved in a dispute/argument...come from vastly different backgrounds/experiences/etc and by being angry/defensive at them and berating them, doesn't help explain their perspective. if one side of the argument doesn't really understand what the other side of the argument is saying...then there can never be reconciliation. there are usually some fundamental differences in most arguments, figuring out what those are and addressing those directly in a calm and forthcoming matter is the best way to resolve conflict. and if you can't...well then one must agree to disagree. (i.e. earth is 300,000 years old. earth is 5 billion years old.)
as for as bushy-tushy goes, he has a point. the dems are not being proactive in presenting solutions, just identifying problems. not that the problems don't exist, but they gotta step up to the plate. i heard that quote on npr this morning, and i also kept on thinking that this quote from just tries to ignore the reasons we got into this war in the first place...which is still a big issue for alot of people. but while trying to address that...deal with the current state of affairs. oh yeah, i don't like party politics either.
well, thats that, i probably didn't make any sense, but thats usually the case.
excellent comments vijay. thanks for the input. just out of curiosity, is NPR still having big funding issues? maybe I'm thinking of something else...
you didn't agree with anything he said? you didn't agree with his statement that we are addicted to oil? you didn't agree that we must cut our dependance on foreign energy sources, train more engineers and scientists? i don't agree with his existence, but with these individual points, and several others, i agree.
all that said, i was too busy writing to watch the speech. i have a hard time watching him for long periods of time, anyway.
No Dan, I said I didn't agree with everything he said. I did agree with the statements that you pointed out.
Mike, I understand your point and think it's a good idea. When I was in high school I wrote to my representatives twice and never got a reply, so I think it made me doubt that they read my letters. But it's quite a few years later and I have new reps, so it's worth a try.
aaah, katie, katie, katie. i realize that if i state my political beliefs in this comment i probably would have only incensed the old you to violence, and the new you to lengthy discussion. so i will refrain, but it amuses me to know that i can see if i can get you to break your first resolution. ;)
mike has a good point: voting isn't enough if you want to be heard. if you send enough letters, someone will take notice.
as for your nyc bubble (i disagree with the use of the word 'liberal' in the sense it is normally used when referring to politics, but that is another issue), just be happy that it will last many many years as your thesis won't be complete until, oh, 2010. hahahaha!
you're a troublemaker walonoski. i've got my eyes on you. every time i look down at my hospital ID and it says "10" (as in valid until 2010) i whimper a little bit. that's a scary thought.
I've tried the calm approach to explaining my views to those who don't agree with them. Unfortunately, as strongly as I believe in my views, I simply don't have enough objective data to support them in a debate. Why, oh why? didn't I participate in the debate club in high school?
I simply don't know enough liberal "talking points" to have a civilized conversation with a conservative. I once tried to explain to a few good friends how Fox news is really not "fair and balanced" and even had some examples (taken from "Out Foxed") but alas, they simply didn't believe me and retorted with "well, all the other stations are highly liberal, so they're not really balanced either." That point is true, but not to the extent that it is with Fox. So I've given up to debating politics, and I simply walk away from such conversations.
Post a Comment
<< Home