January 24, 2006

Communication Breakdown

Well, my knee saga isn't getting any better. Today I started physical therapy. Before I started however, I had to make about ten thousand phone calls between Student Health Services, the Orthpaedic Surgeon's Office and PT Scheduling just to get Student Health to fax a copy of my referral over to PT Scheduling. Did they? No, even though they lied to me twice and told me that they had. So I had to wake up extra early this morning, hike over to Student Health and demand a copy just in time for my first PT appointment. I sat in the waiting room for eternity and ended up with a 20 minute appointment, even though I was paying for a full hour. Because neither PT nor Orthopaedic Surgery had the foresight to send my charts to PT, I had to fumble my way through my X-ray and MRI results to the therapist, even though I don't know the name of any muscles or ligaments and the Orthopaedic surgeon didn't tell me any details about anything. After my explanation, the therapist had me show her what stretches I do after I run. After I finished, her reply was, "I think somebody is a little compulsive!" You know what, at least I stretch. I have been running for over ten years, with multiple coaches and physical trainers, and I think I know what stretches works for me. After that she showed me some quad, hamstring, calf and hip stretches she wants me to do. That's all well and good, but when do I start getting treatment for my knee? I asked her if she could explain to me, because the Orthopaedic surgeon could not, why the top of my knee caps throbbed when I ran and what we were going to do to alleviate that pain. Her answer: "I don't know why the top of your knees hurt... but all runners need to be more flexible." I didn't hurt my knee because I am an inflexible runner. I hurt my knee because I slammed it full force into a cement sidewalk. I'm trying to stay positive here, but this seems like the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. So what I took out of the appointment was that I'll be doing no strength training, receiving no electrical/heat/water therapy, but I am going to have to the most flexible ankles and calves of any runner you've seen. Fan-fucking-tastic.

5 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger hkim said...

I am so sorry. really. unbelievable. We can get ice cream later. Oh...poor Kathy.

I can punch her in the face and roundhouse kick her in the chest. That will show her flexible.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger paducci said...

next is a can of whoop-ass....

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger anna said...

Aww, sorry Kaf. Sounds frustrating. Take your knee's health into your own hands.. next time, tell that Biatch exactly what you want!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger josh said...

katie, healing takes time. if you worry about knee pain when taking a moderately paced hour walk around fort tryon park, what makes you think you are ready for strength training? it's like enrolling in a karate class and trying to do a powerful kick above your head without even being able to do a split.

i am not saying that you are not flexible, but how much regular stretching have you been doing since your accident? i realize that you die a little each day that you don't run, but patience and prudence now will allow you to run for the rest of your life.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger dan said...

simmer down, k.fa, simmer down. if after another two sessions this p.t. doesn't shape up, it's easy enough to get another one.

oh and when i had to get my knee physically therapized, my doctor also did not send the charts to the therapy place. so i have to explain to them that i had whatever it was i had. i had 4 people... two of them were good and the other two were just kinda lame. one of the good ones, tho, was kinda hot. sadly her schedule did not fit with mine. so instead i got this burly guy who was like a mash-up of a surfer and a vegan mountaineer, and he was ridiculously professional and knew everything.

anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home