January 09, 2006

I am a Carnivore!


Yesterday nine friends and I made the trip out to Little Portugal in Newark, NJ for some Brazilian BBQ. I took my first trip on the PATH train, which was mildly exciting, especially near the departing station where we got to see the WTC site and construction. We went to a nice restaurant by the name of Boi na Brasa. Marcus had tempted us all with promises of all-you-can-eat meat and rice and beans. We sat down, ordered some Brazilian sodas and within ten minutes the meat-fest began. There is a diagram of a cow at each place setting where they show where the nine different cuts of beef that are served come from on the cow - very helpful. In addition to the nine cuts of beef, there was also lamb, multiple forms of chicken, pork loin and bacon. First our delightful servers brought out the appetizers: fried plantains, rice with red and black beans and fried potatoes. This was quickly followed with a lot of meat. They bring each individual meat out on a skewer and you tell them how many pieces you want. For some of the larger cuts, they cut a slice off for you, which you grab with tongs. Then they bring the meat to the back and grill it again so that everyone gets perfectly cooked meat with each cut. At some points there was so much meat on my plate they I couldn't take what they were bringing around. After we ate the main meal (I am sure I ate many pounds of meat), Maggie, Megan and I all started feeling a little funny. Despite the fact that I had just been drinking soda, I felt slighly drunk and certainly dizzy. Those feeling dissipated when they brought out the dessert trays - I sampled some of Sam's chocolate mousse and Marcus's flan. The meal was completed with fried pineapple with cinnamon. We were at the restaurant for about three hours and we were consuming food for about 2.5 of those hours. I couldn't eat dinner last night and actually had a hard time eating breakfast this morning. It was wonderful. I'm expecting to get the shakes sometime today as I begin to enter meat withdrawal.

2 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger hkim said...

Don't worry. All those extra hormones and antibiotics will make you strong and you will soon be able to run like horse again.(hmmm...maybe cow instead?)

I personally love Churrascaria Plataforma.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger anna said...

Aww... that looks like fun. I remember Marcus trying to get us out there for a long time now. If it makes you feel better, think that some of that meat was for me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home