January 09, 2006

I Wanna Be Like Mike

This is an interesting article about diminishing returns in human performance in sports and some of the areas that athletes, coaches and researchers are looking to for improvement. At the end of the article, the author mentions two basketball stars (Larry Bird and Michael Jordan) with talents above and beyond what most humans possess. I have often wondered, what if these athletes, and others, never tried their sport? What if Michael Jordan never picked up a basketball? Chances are he is skilled enough to excel in many sports, but who knows. I always thought it would be interesting, although impossible, to have everyone in the world train for and test themselves in each sport. I wonder how many hidden talents there are out there that will go unrecognized. Most people probably don't care and are content to watch athletic stars on TV, but it's fun to think about.

5 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger hkim said...

Maybe that is the purpose of gym class. Remember, when you had to take all different kinds of activities like square dancing, fencing, team handball, hockey, tag football, weightlifting, ultimate frisbee (i almost killed myself in that class), badminton, soccer..the options were endless. The best was in grade school when you got to race each other using those deadly scooters only a very small child's butt would fit on. Those always resulted in smushed fingers.
It's too bad that the only thing I really liked were the scooters and doing my homework in gym class.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Those scooters were amazing. Looking back, I can't believe that was deemed safe for small children. My other favorites included the mile run in the physical fitness test and floor hockey. I was brutal with those hockey sticks. I sent many opponents to the sidelines with hard hits to the shins.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger anna said...

I've always felt that I don't have any talent, but perhaps it's because I simply haven't found the thing I'm good at yet. I don't imagine it's any kind of sport, but is procrastination a talent? or sleeping 12 hours/day for a week?

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, am I tired. This afternoon I threw a baseball into a wall 100 times, ran around the block 4 times and swam 50 laps in the junior high school pool. On Saturday, Frank is going to time me and we’ll see in which area I excel. You make an interesting point.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger hkim said...

well, you are fantastic ferne!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home