January 18, 2006

Arteries, Chinatown and Shopping Carts

Sometimes my heart pumps the blood so hard through my arteries that my pants actually shake just below my knee. Right now is one of those times. If my resting heart rate jumps above 40 after this horrible period of inactivity, I am not going to be a happy elf.

In other news, I am making the trip down to DC on the good ol' Chinatown Bus to visit two good friends next weekend and I couldn't be more excited about it. Having something to look forward to really makes for more pleasant workdays.

And finally, I was asked to be on a team for perhaps the craziest of NYC winter events - the Idiotarod. Basically, it's five people in costume reenacting the Alaskan Iditarod dog-sled race with a shopping cart. The race starts in Brooklyn and ends five miles away in Manhattan. Winners get a cash prize. I will sadly not be competing, as I will be in DC and I am a gimp. Next year...

9 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger dan said...

I think my resting heart rate is 92.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger josh said...

i don't believe your resting heart rate is below 40. top professional athletes have higher resting heart rates than that. you must be measuring it wrong.

as for the idiotarod, mason ran last year and his team came in 3rd place. and he was piss drunk.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger josh said...

i don't believe your resting heart rate is below 40. top professional athletes have higher resting heart rates than that. you must be measuring it wrong.

as for the idiotarod, mason ran last year and his team came in 3rd place. and he was piss drunk.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Katie said...

well double-poster, my RHR is in fact below 40. i used to measure it about once a week. i stopped a few months ago when i stopped running. i checked it again while i was home for Christmas and it was 38. that's what happens when you do over an hour of cardiovascular exercise every day for 10 years.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger paducci said...

i am skeptical.

i was just in dc-chinatown yesterday.

gung hay fat choy.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger josh said...

katie, i have played soccer and lacrosse for a total of 16 years, during which time i had roughly that rate of exercise (there were off days, but every day that i did exercise it was on the order of 2-4 hours). i have never had a heart rate close to 50, and soccer and lacrosse are as cardiovascular as one can get without purely swimming or running. i will ask doctors what their reaction would be if they took someone's pulse and it was 40.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger josh said...

ok. i think i should apologize, but i can remain a bit skeptical. i just measured my heart rate (certainly not at rest) and it was 56. i checked online and found this article about lance armstrong, the greatest cardiac machine to ever grace the planet, and it says:
During those rare moments when he is at rest, it beats about thirty-two times a minute—slowly enough so that a doctor who knew nothing about him would call a hospital as soon as he heard it.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger dan said...

I would like you to please continue this arguement, and have it get more tense and heated, and eventually outright hostile and rude. It reminds me of the style of old New Yorker humor pieces that trace the exchange of letters between hostile parties.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Katie said...

If you think this is hostile, you should have seen how mad I was when Josh proposed that wheelchair athletes and runners should be in direct competition with each other in marathons. Ah Josh, how I love you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home