January 16, 2006

Haile!

Haile Gebrselassie is such an amazing talent. He broke the world record yesterday in the half marathon by 21 seconds. Amazingly, he is 32 years old, which is considered fairly old in the running community. He ran the 13.1 miles in 58:55, which is less than 4.5 minutes per mile. Absolutely astounding. I wish I could be at the London Marathon in April - all the big marathon runners will be there. I did see Paul Tergat run the NYC marathon in November and will see Bekele run the mile at the Millrose Games next month, so I can't complain too much. I'm so looking forward to running again after my knee is healed....

Addendum: IAAF also had an article on Geb's record. This paragraph struck me as hysterical for some reason: "Before today’s race, the 32-year-old Ethiopian, who won the 2001 World Half Marathon title and was the fastest marathon runner of 2005, said 'Running is something special for me.' He then went out and ran a race that was special for everyone throughout the world." Special!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home