January 10, 2006

Cynicism Rears Its Ugly Head

I think most women who watch Sex and the City often try to determine which of the four ladies best represents them. I never thought I fit the mold of any of the characters particularly well, but if I had to pick, I would say I was more of a Carrie. Lately however, I think I'm morphing into a Miranda. The other day after a phone conversation with a friend, I found myself wondering, "Am I a cynical, bitter mid-twenty-something?" I certainly hope not, but the evidence is building.

I've never been a fan of PDA (public displays of affection). I don't like to do it and I certainly don't like to see it. Lately I've had the urge to throw things at people I see kissing on the street. In addition, everyone I know is getting married. I have six weddings this summer (that I know of so far...) and already have one lined up for the summer of 2007. Every time I hear about an engagement, my first response is always, "Oh my gosh! Marriage?!" I'm always happy for my friends, but I gag when I think about things like fluffy wedding dresses, feeding each other cake at the ceremony, touchy-feely wedding announcements, etc. I don't think this is a normal response. I still have a few single comrades out there who sympathize with my aversion to love and marriage. Our post-wedding announcement conversations always include phrases like, "I'm just too busy to be in a relationship" and "I like being single and free to do what I want." But when you get right down to it, you could make the time for a relationship if you wanted to. My single friends and I are certainly not characters from Sex and the City living super-exciting lives in which we meet people for drinks or go to fancy parties every night. I spend multiple evenings a week reading or watching a movie. The truth of the matter is that I just can't be bothered to put any work into meeting someone and having a relationship and I'm not quite accepting enough of men on a whole. So one of my first resolutions for the new year is going to be to give people a try and work on ditching my cynical attitude. I may even experiment with a little PDA. Go ahead, hug me in public. I promise to supress the urge to punch you.

9 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger hkim said...

You're just upset because all these weddings mean usless dresses in your closet. Except for that gorgeous red one with the white sash.

One day when we are out together, I'm going to grab you and shout to everyone, "I love this girl!" then throw petals at you. Then I will start singing "kate" to you while a man with a guitar hiding behind a bush jumps out to accompany me. How's that for PDA.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Well, "Kate" by Bens Fold is one of my favorite songs. I know Ompa likes it too. Stay strong Hyunmi, I heard that Wham is reuniting and coming out with a song titled "Hyunmi Rats Kim" as we speak.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger hkim said...

Wham! Man, George Michael is awesome. Way cooler than Ben Folds. Maybe he will fashion this song after "Faith" which I love.
See, I bet your jealous now.
But when my song by Wham comes out, I will personally ask GM to strike "Last Christmas" from the record. Ha!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger anna said...

At no point should you accept PDA. Being grabby and kissy in public isn't a sign of cynicism, it's a sign of decency. I find PDA beyond holding hands to be revolting, and you should too! I especially find it disturbing in teenagers... Back in HS I would wait for the bus after school and there was always a girl sitting on her boyfriend's lap totally making out, running her hand through his hair, etc... They were so in love! A few weeks later, she was sitting on someone else's lap making out. PDAs are not love, or romantic, and should not be accepted.

Just say "NO!" to PDA.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger dan said...

I am wholly against PDA unless the A is directed towards me. So, I am against PDA-IG, but not against PDA-TM.

(IG: In General)
(TM: Towards Me)

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good resolution, Kate! I know you well, and you are not close to being as cynical as Miranda is. And I am all for PDA! TM and IG- I can be quite the little voyeur!!

As a side note, I think Katie should ban ALL members from this list who do not support "Last Christmas." It is, by far, one of the best Christmas songs ever written and ANY sort of slam on Wham is unacceptable.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger hkim said...

Haha! Well April, fear not. If Mike can get me to like "Billy Jean" then I'm sure Katie can get me to like "Last Christmas." Actually, it won't be that hard if she keeps doing her personally choreographed dance.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A choreographed dance! This I have to see!!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Well, it doesn't involve Pete Sampras, Dr. Carter, Brown Bear or Ellen, but it's fancy nonetheless. If we remember, I'll show you at St. Patrick's Day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home