November 08, 2007

NYC Marathon

As it turns out, I only blog about running now, you lucky non-runners out there. This past Saturday I ran the NYC Marathon. After having done it, I am quite frankly in awe of myself, as absurd as that sounds. I trained relatively intensely (not more than 45 miles a week mind you, but I'm a busy girl, so it felt intense to me) for four months. I gave up staying out late, I stopped drinking alcohol for a period, I became obsessed with the amount of sleep I was getting and what kind of foods were in my diet. Because of the aforementioned sacrifices, I also became quite irritable and nervous. In the weeks leading up to the marathon, I was so wound up I couldn't think about anything else.

After much planning, the day finally arrived. I traveled down to Staten Island by ferry with John, Philipp, Andrew, Christine and Mitch, where we relaxed on a blanket, ate bagels, talked strategy and occasionally stood in line for the bathroom in the brisk early morning hours before the race. Because of a previous half marathon time, I was placed in the female-only front section of the orange start. It was actually very cool to stand around the start next to these incredibly determined-looking women of different ages who were all willing to run to the point of extreme pain to see how far they could push their bodies and wills.

I knew within a few miles of starting the race that I wasn't having an "on" day. I'm not exactly sure why - maybe my taper wasn't perfect, maybe my diet was a bit off, maybe I was just nervous or lacking a bit of confidence. Whatever the case, I ran those first 8 miles or so at a relatively even pace trying to focus on staying calm and being patient. Running through Brooklyn was a truly unique experience, because you run through so many different types of neighborhoods and the people are just beyond supportive. I knew that I had some friends (Libby, Maggie, Sam and Cheryl) waiting for me at mile 11 in Williamsburg, and that was a big motivation. After seeing them, I looked forward to seeing Kil right near his apartment at mile 13. At around the half-way point I realized that it was becoming more difficult for me to stay with the 3:30 pace group that was running about 50 feet in front of me. I tried not to panic and keep running even splits. Running under the Queensboro bridge was nuts - totally dark for a period and very quiet. When I finally turned off the bridge onto First Ave. the noise from the crowd was deafening, and it really couldn't come at a better time. Running up First Ave. is definitely a challenge, mainly because you can see so far up the street to the miles that still lay ahead of you. I saw my friend Beth at mile 18, which was a huge boost. Running through the Bronx went by pretty quickly and the only thought I remember is being extremely thirsty and wondering where the next water station was going to be. By the time I got back into Manhattan near mile 21, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to sustain my pace. With 5 miles to go and no idea how much worse the pain would get, it was a terrifying realization. I had officially hit the wall. I saw Sean and Megan in Harlem, which was a nice surprise, and then Kil and Libby, Maggie, and Sam at mile 23 before entering the park. How I willed myself to run those last two miles through Central Park at only a minute per mile slower than my original pace I have no idea. I was grimacing the whole way and actually whimpering at times my legs hurt so bad. I have never in my life felt relief like I did when I crossed that finish line. My time was 3:35:31. It was 5:31 slower than my goal time, but it was a Boston Marathon qualifier. After coming to appreciate how hard the marathon is, I realize that it was a respectable performance. I really don't think I could have pushed myself any harder. When I crossed the finish line I swore that I would never run the race and do that to myself again. By the time I got home though, I was already thinking how I could train harder and get faster for next year. 358 training days to go.

3 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you put up another blog for my viewing pleasure! Good job on running the marathon...i'm so proud of you! Can't wait to see you over Thanksgiving if I make it home:(

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops i meant to leave my name on that last one!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger dan said...

Awesome post, Katie. Congrats on the race! 3:35, I think, is quite respectable, yes, especially for someone who's leg was splintered not so long ago, eh? I bet I could beat that time, though, especially if you gave me rocket-powered skates.

But now onto *really* important business: did you know Project Runway is starting up again Wednesday!!!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home