January 23, 2007

Random Facts for the Bored Worker

The weather here is fantastic right now. I could wish for a little more snow, but there's really not much to complain about. I recently knit myself a scarf and have been wearing it all around town. It's really holding up nicely. I'm in the mood to knit more, so if you want a scarf or something else that doesn't require any type of tricky patterning, let me know. My running is going according to plan for the most part and my knee is holding up well, which makes me happier than I can even say. Other than that, everything is fine. Now, on to the interesting facts...

1. This article from Time.com, "The Overscheduled Child Myth," states that the average 6-12yr old spends only 25min a week outside. That is surprisingly low. Even in the winter, I remember my sister and I going outside all the time to play in the snow and we were barely inside at all during the warmer months.

2. According to one British psychologist, yesterday was the most depressing day of the year, owing to a number of factors including weather, failed New Year's resolutions, Christmas debt, etc. I actually had a pretty nice day, which bodes well for the rest of 2007.

3. In 1977, Rocky won the Oscar for Best Picture, beating out "All the President's Men" (one of my all-time favorites), "Network" and "Taxi Driver." Astounding.

4. According to Wikipedia: "Only 17% of women are likely to have an orgasm during sexual intercourse...43% of women report “some kind of sexual problem” – such as inability to achieve orgasm, boredom with sex, or total lack of interest in sex." Again, astounding, and a real shame. But perhaps even funnier is the article "Fake orgasm" that lists reasons to fake, methods of faking and how to distinguish a fake. Hilarious.

5. I peruse the internet more than I should at work.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your use of the word "astounding" throughout the blog!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger josh said...

3. yeah, many people don't know that "rocky" won best picture, or that he was nominated for both best lead actor and best screenplay, a feat that only charlie chaplin and orson welles (for citizen kane) had ever accomplished.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home