March 22, 2007

Trickery, Fantauzzo-Style

My Dad retired yesterday and my mom is retiring next Friday, the 30th, both of them at the ripe old age of 55. I'm really happy for them - more time to enjoy each other's company, walk the dog in the park, travel, relax, etc. How crazy that both of my parents will retire before I even settle on a career path and get a job. To celebrate these momentous occasions, I am going home next Thursday night through Sunday afternoon. My mom's office is throwing her a fancy dinner party (with cocktail hour!) on Friday night that a few select members of our family will be attending, in addition to Kil, my boyfriend. This is the first time he'll be meeting my parents. My dad has a reputation for being a little... cool with past boyfriends of mine. I'm hoping that he's coming around to the idea that it's okay for his 26 year-old daughter to have a boyfriend. However, he has already stated that he plans to trick Kil on our trip....

A little background: Letchworth State Park ("The Grand Canyon of the East") is this fabulous park not too far from our house with great hiking paths, waterfalls, old bridges, etc.
My family has always enjoyed traveling there. As I haven't been home for more than a day outside of Thanksgiving or Christmas for years now, my Dad and I haven't had a chance to go. We decided that we would go next weekend. There was only one problem: Kil doesn't like to hike. Even though I knew he would compromise and pretend to like it, I stupidly mentioned it to my father. He was silent for a few moments, and then said, "We'll trick him. We'll just tell him we're going to lunch, drive to Letchworth, and once we're there he'll just have to hike with us. I'll even take you guys out to eat at the Glen Iris (an on-site restaurant) afterwards." Well, that sounds like the basis of a trusting, friendly relationship to me. Poor Kil, he doesn't know what he's in for at the Fantauzzo residence - a weekend of silliness, over-eating and apparently, trickery.

10 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger josh said...

Kil doesn't know about this blog? I hope he hasn't found it by googling you...

Is that your photo of Letchworth, or was it stolen from the internet? I want to go climbing there! Is climbing ok, or will I get arrested when I scale those walls...

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger josh said...

Oh yeah, I like my trick better: you announce to your parents one night at dinner that you and Kil are going to have a baby... Hahaha!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Katie said...

No, he doesn't know about this site. Let's keep it that way! j/k. That gorgeous photo was taken from the internet. You should come to Rochester with me sometime and I'll hike around and take pics while you climb. As for your trick, I believe Kil wanted to try that on his parents with one of his ex-gfs. My parents would definitely not find it amusing.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger josh said...

Well, they might think it was funny if they were in on it. Upon you telling them, your dad could stand up, smile and hug you saying "That's great!"

He could then turn to Kil and say, "Welcome to the family, son. When's the wedding?"

I think it would be funny.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger anna said...

you've been holding out on me kaf! shame on you!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger paducci said...

how does one pronounce "Kil"? and keeping a blog secret probably won't work out.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Oh avy, I know. I'll fill you in. It's relatively amusing.

Vijay, one pronounces Kil as if one had intentions to murder. I don't mean for it to be a secret at all - I was just joking. He already knows my Dad was intending to trick him. Also, I got your postcard. Thanks! I enjoyed your mention of mustard. It's one of my favorite edible things.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Katie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Katie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger josh said...

hey, tell us about the trip home, the trickery, and how you spent april 1st. i know this comment will be emailed to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home