Fashion Show, Gotham Girls Style
Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Replay fashion show featuring the lovely female skaters and male referees of Gotham Girls Roller Derby. The show was outside in a tent right in front of the huge Replay store on Prince St. My friend Rockey, one of the referees, did a fantastic job skating up and down the runway in his racoon-tail hat. It was so nice to see clothes being modeled by "real women" and not just stick figures with no curves.

Afterwards there was an afterparty inside the store with free drinks, horderves and good music all night. There were some interesting guests at the party, aside from the Roller Girls who are always entertaining. I had noticed during the show that the DJ looked very familiar. I finally realized that it was Lars Schlichting of Real World London fame. I felt kind of bad for him during the party because he was DJing upstairs and almost all of the guests were in the lower level. Rockey's friend Ryan and I talked to him for a bit and met his wife and little boy. If I remember correctly, he was having trouble breaking into the club/DJing scene on the Real World, so good for you Lars for getting this job, even if it was only for one night!
We also saw Carson Kressley from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. I spotted him in the crowd and Ryan and I asked him for a picture (I know this is considered bad manners, but I couldn't resist). Later on when we were outside, Carson and his partner asked Ryan for a cigarette and the four of us and Raggedy Animal (a roller girl) talked for about ten minutes. Carson was absolutely hysterical. He kept equating the violence of roller derby bouts with the drama of 20% off sales at Bloomingdale's. Going to the party was well worth being tired this morning in lab.

3 Comments:
Ryan and I asked him for a picture (I know this is considered bad manners, but I couldn't resist)
It's when the fans stop asking for pictures, that's a bad sign. I'm sure he appreciated being idolized.
Definitely. Manners, schmanners. They're all attention whores, these celebrities. You made his night.
Speaking of fashion -- I was inordinately dissappointed last night, when I discovered PR was a rerun. BAH!
can i get an update in my life?
Post a Comment
<< Home