June 27, 2006

Well Hello Prospect Park

Today was an ordinary day at work. I did some experiments, watched a little World Cup action, had a Tuscan wrap from Jou Jou for lunch, etc. However, it became a very special evening when Hyunmi and I snuck out of work at 5pm and headed down to Prospect Park in Brooklyn for the NYRR-sponsored "Run Until the Violence Stops 5K." We got down there a bit early to pick up our numbers and our timing chips then stretched for a while on a big grassy lawn. The weather was actually beautiful - mid-70's, slightly overcast and breezy. About 2,000 people lined up for the race in total. Mary Wittenberg (NYRR CEO, runner, and according to some incompetent fool - she couldn't figure out that our costumes were from Super Mario Cart at the New Year's run, even though they were SPECTACULAR) was introduced at the start of the race and then a woman walked up to the mic and told us all to "Run with our hearts, our minds, our spirits, and our vaginas." Sure. Hyunmi and I ran the race together - running with a friend is always more enjoyable. We ran 8:15 pace, which is a PR for our little Korean road-running star. I was thrilled that my knee barely bothered me at all for the entire 3.2 miles. In fact, typing this just a few hours after the race ended, I feel no pain at all. Nevertheless, I have an appointment with Student Health Services on Thursday to get a referral to a new orthopaedic surgeon. It was so nice to be slightly out of breath during the race and actually running. I haven't worked that hard in a while and it felt great. Plus, the park was very pretty and we got rainbow popsicles again afterwards. We finished up with calzones and extra sauce from Famiglia. All in all, a wonderful evening!

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger hkim said...

When she said to run with our vaginas, I was taken by two things:
1. My image of me running with my legs spread out as far as possible (ok, I'm really sorry for the gross image...)
2. The amount of snickering from the crowd. It reminded me of a bunch of teenagers. Granted I was one of them. Hehe...she said vagina...

Running with Katie made the run so much better and I didn't cop out like I would have (due to some serious asthma issues). Thanks!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger josh said...

funnier yet, how did the guys in the crowd react?

"umm, where'd my vagina, i mean girlfriend, go? honey? i am supposed to run with you!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home