April 06, 2006

Welcome to the World of Adulthood - You Just Failed Out

Last night I got into a bad mood and I can't seem to shake it. A friend of mine from Columbia, Victor, successfully defended his thesis yesterday and was celebrating at a bar on the UWS. When I got down there, I couldn't find the bar. I saw Hyunmi wandering the streets as well, and even though we knew exactly what block it was supposed to be on, the two of us couldn't find it. So we went a few streets over to an Irish pub, had a beer and headed home. But that wasn't the worst part of the night. The worst part was when I was flat-out ignored by a former friend who then did his best to get away from me by practically sprinting down the street in front of me after we got off of the subway.

At first I thought that I was upset because someone out there disliked me that much. Well, that is upsetting, but in reality, none of us is perfect and I suppose on some level we should expect to be rejected by some people. What really made me upset when I thought about it was that I probably handled the situation poorly somewhere along the way and really hurt someone's feelings. I mean, we were friends and now we're not. I apparently did something so horrible that this person feels the need to literally run away from me. I like to think that the majority of the time I take other peoples' feelings into account, but I know that sometimes I don't and probably act selfishly. God, when am I going to grow up? How many other people have I screwed over? One thing I absolutely can't stand about myself is that I'm all for compassion and tolerance when it comes to the anonymous masses, but in my personal life, I tend to get petty and intolerant. Why is this? Why can't I practice what I preach? It really sickens me. I have to work on this starting now.

5 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear friend. While I am all for self-reflection and personal growth, I also think you need to take into account how many close friends this has happened w/ and how many it HAS NOT happened with. We can talk more about this the next time we talk...I see some similarities between our lives. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Kate. I think you are very compassionate and sweet to both the large masses AND with personal friends. And I would know, baby!

p.s- I am listening to Will Young's "Light My Fire" at the moment.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger dan said...

K, baby, I wasn't running away from you. I just had to pee really bad.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger hkim said...

Don't worry. He is selfish and mean. Mean because he is so self-centered. I have a deep rooted faith that mean or bad spirited people will implode.

He will implode and when he does, it will go un-noticed. Good riddance.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Thanks for the comments. They helped me feel better about the whole thing.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Mike!
Hi Katie, I was just reading your blogs and felt compelled to respond... I just have to say that I truly truly admire your character. You have a beautiful soul and I hope you charish that.
The fact that you are able to examine yourself and your spirituality is amazing to me and I wish I knew you personaly... Don't be so hard on yourself because at least you are trying your best to be good. Take good care and God bless you!
Yours truly,
Someone you don't know :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home