June 20, 2006

Sports!

Anyone that knows me knows that I like sports - a lot. I like to play them, I like to talk about them and I like to watch them. This month I am on sports overload. First off, the French Open was on TV. The men's final had the top two seeds, so it was very entertaining. Last weekend I went to watch the Belmont Stakes horse race. It was a bit chilly at the park, but the races were very exciting. Then the World Cup started. I had previously only watched a few soccer games here and there, but I always thought it was a sport that I could really get interested in, especially because so many of my friends follow it. I entered a pool with about twenty people on ESPN.com and I literally can't stop watching the games or checking the scores at work. This past weekend, the US Open golf tournament was on TV. Couldn't help myself from watching that either. On top of all of this, my kickball league starts this Wednesday, I signed up for four NYRR races in the next month (which I'll probably have to walk) and the Graduate Student Organization Olympics are this Friday. I couldn't be happier. Am I a freak for liking sports this much? Will I ever meet a guy with my enthusiasm for non-American sports (I can't stand watching football or baseball)? Time will tell. I'm just lucky for now that I live in NYC and have all of these oppportunities to be a sports-aholic.

3 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger josh said...

i've often thought that i should move to a country that values real sports like soccer and rugby. sadly, the US is the worst of all the developed nations at these two sports. i suppose england is my only real option then.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger anna said...

I can understand your attraction to all these sports... except golf. I never understood golf. I'm sure it's fun to play, but it's boooooring as hell to watch. The only sport I've ever been remotely into is hockey, mostly b/c that's the only sport Alex likes, and the Cornell team rocked.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Sports I would like to see Americans develop a greater interest in (mainly so I can watch them on TV): cycling, skiing, distance running (they are already pretty good about showing field events and sprints on TV), swimming and soccer. I wish I could get interested in football and baseball, but they just don't do it for me. I think having American athletes do really well in certain sports will bring those sports attention in this country - Lance Armstrong, Alan Webb, Bode Miller, Michael Phelps, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home